Sunday, November 16, 2014

Vegan Eggplant Burgers with Garlic Avocado Aioli

Recently I have had a need for burgers in my life and I still do not crave meat since detoxing a few weeks ago. I did a detox where I removed toxins and slowly transitioned into a plant based and vegan lifestyle and I have never felt better!

Here is the recipe I created last night when I was staring at an eggplant in my fridge, wondering what to do:



For the Burgers:

1 large or 2 small eggplants, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp Olive oil divided
1 finely chopped shallot or half of a small red onion
1/2 c. -1 whole cup any brand vegan cheese, shredded or sliced and chopped up small
2 cloves chopped garlic
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp parsley
3/4 c.-1 whole c. gluten free bread crumbs.

 (for the plain version of bread crumbs, I make them Italian style by adding onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, basil, oregano, and marjoram) 

In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp of oil and begin cooking the cubed eggplant. You will want to do this between 10-15 minutes because you need them soft enough to smash. 

Transfer the eggplant to a separate bowl where you will mash them up until there are no more larger chunks. Once mashed, add the onion, garlic, began cheese, peppers, and spices. Mix it all together. 

Slowly begin to mix in the bread crumbs 1/4 cup at a time. you may need a 1/2 c. or you may need to add the whole cup depending on the water left in your eggplant. 

Let the eggplant mixture sit in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes until it begins to look "firmer." Once this happens take it out and "pack" your patties in any size you want forming them with you hands and packing tightly. 

Heat the other tbsp. of oil in the same skillet (cleaned) and begin to cook the burgers. It will take about 5-7 minutes on one side and then flip. You want each side golden brown and a slight crunch to the outside so they will be warm inside and not fall apart

For the Avocado Aioli Sauce: 

 1 large avocado, halved and pitted
2 large garlic cloves
1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup soy-free Veganaise, or vegan mayo of your choice
Salt and pepper to taste

Place all ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth. 

#BOOM!!! This one rocks your taste buds!

Find me on social media and don't forget to sign up to receive all of my latest by email.

Instagram: Jeterfit
Pinterest: Dawn Jeter
Twitter: DawnJeter79
email me at: dawnjeterfitness@outlook.com

Need support on your clean eating journey? Request to join here: 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/684453731638360/

Looking to add a workout to your healthy eating? Join me in my fitness challenge by requesting to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1538249986409275/  


"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment