Monday, June 2, 2014

Staying Hydrated




Today I wanted to address daily water intake. As summer approaches so many people get busy and forget to drink up. There are many ways to make flavored water without the chemicals that some of these drink powders have you drinking. We actually use a few drops of agave nectar when we put fresh squeezed lemons into the cups for our kids and this is there "lemonade." But even without that, water can be so great with lots of fruits and vegetables! You do not have to have a water bottle with an infuser to do this. My tip: just let the water sit overnight in a glass jar or jug and let the infusion take place!

For a great list of glass water bottles and accessories I would recommend Life factory. http://www.lifefactory.com/

Here is a list of some of the things I have used in my water that taste so amazing:

Lemons/limes
Oranges
Strawberries
Cucumbers
Frozen grapes
Frozen Mango
Watermelon
Mint
Ginger 

Cinnamon Sticks

Here is also a great pic for some water "recipes."




You can also make "fruity" ice by filling each cube of a tray with water, whatever fruit or berry you like, and a spice like mint or basil. This is great for a summer treat!

Remember the recommended amount of water each day is HALF of your body weight in ounces, and if you are more active you should be getting about 3/4 of you body weight in ounces. Here is a great visual for getting just over 1/2 of your body weight in ounces:





Check out this link to a video to learn more about hydration and the important role water plays for your health and your body: http://www.teambeachbody.com/showcase/-/bcp/71468586001/266974?referringRepId=266974





Don't forget sparkling water gives you that "fizz" and there are no added calories!


For more tips and tricks don't forget to follow me by email or find me at www.facebook.com/jeterfitness

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dawn,
    I like your idea. I drink lemon water frequently. It's great detox for the body and skin. Although it's best to drink and lemon flavored products through a straw as the acid eats the tooth enamel. I've broken 3 crowns now from lemon water that I didn't drink through a straw. I used agave nectar all winter long until I read up on it and discovered its actually not good for the body at all and the good industry had made absurd claims about it being healthy when it's actually not. The sugar in it acts as an FOS (fructooligosaccharide) I believe. It's supposed to have a low glycemic index but it's actually higher than high fructose corn syrup. I actually fair better with a little raw sugar and stevia.

    ReplyDelete