Thursday, May 15, 2014

Fit After Cancer

Today I want to share something very personal that is really where my journey began. On this day, May 15, just 3 years ago, I was getting ready to go camping with my family. I had a doctor appointment that morning to go over a routine test. I said goodbye to my husband and kids and told them I would return in an hour so we could leave for our trip. I asked the nurse upon arrival why I was called in to this appointment one week early? She told me the doctor had to go out of town the following week so they moved my appointment up. When the doctor came into my room, he sat down, reached for my knee, and told me I had cancer. The was a blur and the room went grey. From there I was rushed off to multiple scans and further testing in just the next couple of  hours. My husband asked if I wanted to cancel the trip. I said we were going because "I am not sick." Over the next few weeks we began the steps to find out what, where, how much, and what stage the cancer was. Not only was my whole world turned upside down, but that of my family's was rocked forever.

I tell you this story not to seek pity but to explain to you my story of how LIFE gets in the way sometimes. I had to adapt. After my surgeries, I followed my treatment plan. I was sick, weak, and I gained weight over the next year. I beat my cancer in just under 6 months but I let the emotional part of the disease take over, I did not take care of my body when I should have been treating it as a gift of life.

When I discovered fitness again, a friend of mine gave me a copy of a DVD program called Insanity. I worked my tail off to complete that program through blood, sweat, and (literal) tears. I moved on the a program call Focus T25 http://beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/DawnJeter1?bctid=2479953029001 which was great because it gave me the same awesome results as Insanity but in 25 minutes a workout. After that were several more workout programs and a full body detoxification program that releases the toxins at the cellular level and teaches a plant based diet. This RESET my body so that I could continue to rebuild my life and health. It would be easy to not workout daily, it would be easy to not plan and prepare my food, but I don't choose easy, I choose health.

Today I want you to know if you are struggling with something, you can overcome it. You are a warrior just like me. We all have to fight for something at some point in our lives. Comment with your email below if you are ready to get some help with your health and fitness. The first step is always the hardest! Follow me if you would like to continue to learn how I overcame my disease and regained my health!

www.facebook.com/jeterfitness




1 comment:

  1. I love that you share your story along with your strength! And I think this quote at the bottom is amazing! Nice job on the blog!

    ReplyDelete