Sunday, November 9, 2014

Moroccan Yam Vegan Burger

I recently have found that eating more of a plant based diet is working for my energy levels so I have been researching and trying out many new things Vegan! Yes, I said it, the "V" word. 

So many people are scared of what being vegan might mean and I frankly, never considered giving up animal protein for the simple fact that I love to lift weights, heavy ones, and do this often to gain more strength and definition in my body. However, there are many ways to eat vegan and I am just a newbie, but for today I wanted to share with you my new found veggie burger that I will be forever in love with!

 Moroccan Yam Vegan Burgers:

1.5 c. grated yam or sweet potato
2 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 c. fresh cilantro
1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, (or any other white bean) drained and rinsed
2 tbsp. ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp warm water
3/4 cup rolled oats, ground into four in the blender (use gluten free if needed)
1/2 tbsp sesame oil (optional)
1 tbsp Bragg's liquid aminow
1/2-1 tsp Himalayan salt (optional)
fresh ground black pepper (optional)
1-1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp tumeric

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line a large baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. 
2. Peel the yams, using a regular size grater,, grate the yams until you have 1.5 tightly packed cups. Place in a bowl.  
3. Using the food processor mince the garlic and cilantro. Add the drained chickpeas or beans and process again until finely chopped, but leave some texture. Scoop this mixture into a large bowl.
4. In a small bowl, mix the flax and water. 
5. Grind the oats in the blender until the consistency of flour. Stir the oats and flax mixture into the bean mixture.
6. Sir in the oil, aminos, salt/pepper, and spices until thoroughly combined. Adjust to desired taste.
7. Shape 6-10 patties packing together firmly. Place on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes and flip carefully to bake for 18-20 minutes more on the other side. Cool on the pan.

Now for the topper! Who needs mustard or mayo on this burger when you can have...


Avocado and Garlic Aioli Sauce:

1 large avocado, halved and pitted
2 large garlic cloves
1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup soy-free Veganaise, or vegan mayo of your choice
Salt and pepper to taste

Place all ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth. 

#BOOM!!! This one rocks your taste buds!

Find me on social media and don't forget to sign up to receive all of my latest by email.

Instagram: Jeterfit
Pinterest: Dawn Jeter
Twitter: DawnJeter79
email me at: dawnjeterfitness@outlook.com

Need support on your clean eating journey? Request to join here: 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/684453731638360/

Looking to add a workout to your healthy eating? Join me in my fitness challenge by requesting to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1538249986409275/  


"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."
   
  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment