Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Gluten Free, Vegan, Quinoa and Bean Chili

As I continue my journey into becoming vegan, I am constantly looking for new ways that I can add enough protein to my diet without the meat. I also know the body needs more than just seeds and nuts, as these are not whole sources of proteins. Since quinoa is a complete source I decided to give this a try. As winter is upon us in the Eastern United States, it gets cold and damp. I always love a bowl of chili and to know this one is low in fat, high in fiber, protein, and iron makes me feel confident that I am fueling my body for cold days, hard workouts, and teaching Piyo classes at the gym! Hope you enjoy this as much as I did! The only problem: OVEREATING! 



For the toppings, my sister was visiting and she said "no cilantro for me, I don't like it." After convincing her to give it a try she said "wow" the cilantro really makes the dish!"

Ingredients:
1 tsp. coconut oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 c. uncooked quinoa ( I found that red quinoa tastes nuttier and still "snaps" when you bite into it so that is what I choose)
15-26 oz. carton of crushed tomatoes (lowest sodium)
8 oz. tomato sauce (lowest sodium)
1 c. water (more as needed)
1- 15 oz. can organic black beans, rinsed
1.5 c. organic frozen corn kernals
2 poblano peppers (grilled or roasted with skin removed)
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. red cayenne pepper
1 tsp. smokey southwest seasoning 
salt and pepper to taste
diced avocado
fresh chopped cilantro
vegan sour cream

Instructions:

(have the poblanos roasting in the oven with the broiler on a foil lined baking sheet. broil with skin up until charred turning a half turn every 3 minutes. Making sure not to burn. Put in a paper bag or under a clean dish towel to cool. Peel the skins off with ease when cool.)
 
1. Saute the onion in the coconut oil in a medium saucepan. When it becomes translucent, add garlic, paprika, cayenne, southwest, salt and pepper and cook for about 2 minutes. 

2. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water to the onion mixture and bring to a boil.

3. Add quinoa, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes, adding more water as needed. 

4. Taste and season as necessary with salt, pepper, and cayenne if needed
 
5. Add corn, black beans, and chopped poblano. Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat and cook for another ten minutes. Keep adding tomato sauce or water if needed to thin it out as the quinoa will absorb a lot of moisture. 

6. serve in large bowls topped with diced avocado and fresh chopped cilantro.  

 Find me on social media and don't forget to sign up to receive all of my latest by email.

Instagram: Jeterfit
Pinterest: Dawn Jeter
Twitter: DawnJeter79
email me at: dawnjeterfitness@outlook.com

Need support on your clean eating journey? Request to join here: 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/684453731638360/

Looking to add a workout to your healthy eating? Join me in my fitness challenge by requesting to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1538249986409275/  


"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment