Monday, June 23, 2014

Twice Baked Southwest Sweet Potatoes

On of my favorite things is sweet potatoes! As a child growing up, this was not the case! My family traditionally had a smashed cracker crumb crust with a pound of butter, another pound of brown sugar, and a bag of marshmallows melted on top. If you were lucky, you could eat the whole dish without ever even tasting a real sweet potato. It was just pure sugary goodness!

 Now, I think differently because I know the effects that those things have on the human cells. I love sweet potatoes now, but not the kind covered in brown sugar and marshmallows, but real yams!




This recipe is something my sister came up with one evening while we were getting together. It can really be paired with any dish, including fish, chicken, or red meat.

  • Bake 4 large yams at 350 until soft inside or poke each yam in several spots with a fork and wrap them in wet paper towels. You can microwave them this way until the flesh is soft.  
  • Scoop the flesh out of each sweet potato and add it into a large bowl. (Save those skins in tact if possible!)
  • Add butter or began butter (for dairy free) and mix thoroughly.
  • Add in 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1tbsp smokey paprika, and 1tbsp McCormick salt free Southwest seasoning ( keep adding to get the perfect flavor for you)
  • Mix it all together and scoop the flesh back into the skins. 
  • Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and broil lightly until melted and brown and crisp on top. (for dairy free skip this step)


This recipe is sure to be enjoyed by everyone, even my kids like it! And it tastes very exotic!

For more recipes like this or to follow this blog please sign up for emails from me or follow me on facebook at:
www.facebook.com/jeterfitness
www.facebook.com/dawnjeter

Instagram: Jeterfit

or email me at dawnjeterfitness@outlook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment